Second of all, there’s been a lot of change happening in my life lately. (If you’re not one of the few who knows about it, you will be very soon!) Anyway, it's got me thinking about what matters most in life. (Which explains the All You Need is Love print above. Cute, isn't it?)
I first posted the list below a few years ago, when I was living and working in San Francisco. Back then my favorite sentiments related to my budding career: #3, #15, #19, and so on. Now that I’m revisiting the list, I realize my favorites have changed completely. Today I appreciate the ones about love, relationships, family. Why? Because I’ve learned not to take my job too seriously. (That’s my expert analysis, anyway.) Numbers 3, 15 and 19 don’t resonate so much anymore because I don’t have to remind myself that “my job won’t take care of me when I’m sick” or that today’s “disasters” won’t matter in five years. Since moving back from San Francisco, life has taught me both of those things.
It’s funny how we change over the years.
Without further ado, here’s one of the most meaningful lists I’ve ever read. My new favorites are in bold.
1. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
2. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
3. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
4. Pay off your credit cards every month.
5. Don't compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journeys are all about.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
9. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
10. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
11. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
12. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you.
13. When it comes to going after what you love, don't take no for an answer.
14. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, and wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special
15. Over prepare, and then go with the flow.
16. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
17. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
18. The most important sex organ is the brain.
19. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: In five years, will this matter?
20. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
21. Forgive everyone for everything.
22. What other people think of you is none of your business.
23. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
24. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
25. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
26. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
27. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
28. The best is yet to come.
29. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
30. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Which ones are your favorites?