Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Normal Day


normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. 
let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart.
let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. 
let me hold you while i may, for it may not always be so. 
one day i shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.

- mary jean irion


when afternoons drag on and i wish i were relaxing on a beach somewhere, anywhere, instead of sitting at a desk or trying to trick my toddler into eating spinach, i think of this quote by mary jean irion. i try to remember that my normal days shouldn't be taken for granted. sometimes they're long, and frustrating, and rainy, but my family is healthy and together. and that's what makes life great right now. we're so lucky to be enjoying life's simplest pleasures: gathering for dinner, blowing bubbles, feeding ducks, reading bedtime stories, and celebrating every birthday and holiday with too much food and too many presents. someday, i may miss today's normal.

leave a little note!

  1. This was beautiful and a great reminder to treasure every single thing that we are blessed to have. No matter how small!
    Throughout the day, some things that may seem insignificant, will catch my attention and I just stop right then and thank God for this little blessing. Each day is full of moments like that! We just have to open our eyes to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and inspiring...Thank you for the reminder to live in the moment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we can all get caught up on waiting for a super out of the ordinary day that we forget to enjoy the little things in a normal day, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my bedtime prayers with emerson, i so often find myself thankful for the day's simple joys...and then i'm overwhelmed with the realization that elsewhere, all over this world, a mama's days with her babies look so very much different. what a gift to be able to simply take strolls and blow bubbles!

    love this, meghan! i think you need a vacation to missouri one of these days so i can meet you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reminder!!! I love Evie's red hair!! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quote! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't mind if I borrow this. :) Your blog is always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore this! It's nice to take a step back and relax a little! On our 'normal' days I'm
    Like hmmm what could be be doing, I need to remember to step back and take a breather

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the reminder. I needed it today when, on this normal day, I'm working on my dissertation at 1am. But, even that, is a real gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love that quote - SO perfect right now. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eveytime I see your Darling girl somehow I get surprised of how adorable she is again and again! You'd think I just remember how cute she is and move on:)
    This is SUCH a great reminder. Normal days are a treasure and oh how I forget that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her hair is so beautiful!
    xx

    http://mishonest.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her hair.....I die!! She is truly THE CUTEST little girl EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and it is so wonderful. I've just spent too long looking at it. I read all of your short stories, if you will. I read about your wedding, your daughter, it's all so lovely. I will be soaking up whatever you post. Take care,

    Shauna

    PS. I love your bangs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quote Meghan! So true to treasure the little moments and so easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete