Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Surgery. Check!


i'm so happy this whole eyelid surgery business is behind us, and ecstatic to report that everything went perfectly. our brave little evelyn did great. honestly, i think the hardest part for her was having to skip breakfast the morning of surgery (she wasn't allowed to eat or drink six hours before the anesthesia).  she recently learned the word breakfast, and it broke my heart hearing "breakfast? breakfast?" as we were leaving the house. 

evelyn knew something was up when we changed her into the hospital gown, but she never stopped smiling. she looked so cute in the thing we snapped a few iphone pictures of her—probably the last ones we'll have of her trademark droopy eyelid, which we've grown to adore over the last 17 months—before passing her off to the anesthesiologists. (pay no attention to my unwashed mommy 'do or the fact that i'm wearing the same dirty tee i wore on mother's day. despite my smile, i was a sleep-deprived and anxious wreck.)

the anesthesiologists told us that redhead kids sometimes need a bigger dose of that candy-flavored medicine to induce anesthesia because of their low pain tolerance, and that they usually wake up more upset, or feisty, than other kids. (weird, right?)

they were spot-on.

evelyn came out of the anesthesia thrashing and screaming, like she was in pain. the doctors assured me she wasn't. she probably just didn't like the way she felt: drunk from the medicine and anesthetic vapor. nothing calmed her. she cried bloody tears all over my already dirty t-shirt as the doctors injected her with morphine. i cried, too. finally, between sobs, evelyn choked out the words "all done," and i knew she just wanted to go home.

evie fell asleep in the car, her new eyelid so tight it wouldn't even close all the way. she was staring at me while she slept. (according to the doctor, that's normal, and the muscle will loosen up soon. whew!)

i prepared a feast for evie when we got home: apples (her favorite), a few different cheeses, zucchini bread, strawberries, a whole lot of milk, even some french fries. and she was back to normal, just like that. not three hours after her surgery, she was ready to play, bounce, run, read—as if nothing ever happened. it's amazing how kids bounce back like that. 

i'll spare you the pictures of her post-op eye because it's pretty bruised and swollen and probably gross to anyone who's not her mom. through the puffy black and blue skin and stitches, we can tell the doctors did an amazing job. it's got to be sore, but evie seems happier than usual—probably because it's nice being able to see.

leave a little note!

  1. ...and now I'm crying. I am so beyond happy that everything went so well. What a brave little lady who we can all learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. What a girl! I'm so glad everything went so well. Can't wait to see pictures of Evie's "new eye" in a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the post pictures. what a remarkable little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that it went so well. Way to be strong, Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on everyone making it through (especially you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it went well! That post-op misery is just so awful and hard on everyone. So tough to see our babies so upset. I'm glad it's behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad everything went well! She's a strong little one & you're a strong momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear everything went well! You're both tough cookies :) I have heard that about redheads and apparently had a pretty crazy reaction to anesthesia when I had my tonsils out a few years ago - just another thing that makes Evie unique! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohooo! So glad it went well! I can only imagine how tough it was to hand her off and then see her so uncomfortable, but thankfully it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad it went well! I've heard surgery is soooo scary for parents - even when it's a simple procedure! You are brave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well. Broke my heart to hear how it went in the beginning. But she is a trooper :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm so glad everything went so well. Way to go Evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad everything worked out! Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little girl is adorable! So glad her surgery went good....I can't imagine the anxiety you were feeling. I'm now your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you more through your blog! :)

    Kathryn
    erikandkathrynburton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete