Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

On Finding Balance

balancing act
as a working mom, my biggest challenge has been finding the perfect balance between home and the office. now more than ever, i feel so lucky that jeff and i work for a company that promotes work-life balance and allows alternative work schedules. i know not all parents are so fortunate. after evie was born, it took a few trials and errors to figure out what felt right: we tried working from home once a week, working four ten-hour days with a day off in the middle, and working half days. i knew i couldn't be away from my baby five days a week, eight hours a day, but the thought of staying home full time scared the pants off me. (bravo to all you stay-at-home moms. i truly believe it's the hardest job in the world.) now, we work full days on tuesday, thursday and friday, and half days monday and wednesday (mornings for me, afternoons for jeff). we get to spend lots of time with our girl while maintaining lives outside the home, a balance that has strengthened our bond and made us happier as a mommy and daddy.


but it's a daily battle, the balancing act. just because i'm home on monday and wednesday afternoons doesn't mean work stops. i see emails come through on my iphone and scan them them while evie is eating or napping, deciding which ones can wait until tomorrow, which can wait until after evie goes to bed for the night, and which should be answered now. luckily, most can wait. if i give one-hundred percent at the office, i want to give one-hundred percent at home, too. i try not to have my phone out while evie's around because i want her to have my undivided attention, learn that interacting face-to-face is more important than "playing" on an electronic device. but i also want my coworkers to know i'm fully dedicated even though i'm home some afternoons. i've learned to prioritize, to realize when it's probably okay to have my phone out, and to recognize the moments with my daughter that i'll never have again, the ones for which i should be completely present. most of the time, i'm completely present. i hope evie remembers that about her childhood.

p.s. that first photo? was taken at jeff's grandma's birthday party in april. it would be a framer if it weren't for the old lady in the background! in case it's not completely obvious, that black sticker ("j+m+e") is there to cover her face. apparently there's some camera technology that can erase unwanted people from the background of photos. have you heard of it? i wish i had that!

leave a little note!

  1. Balance is something I think we all struggle with and being present is something I strive for too. It's so important!

    Have you tried using the stamp tool in Photoshop to erase the lady? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so wise to think about all of this. It's hard for me to be present, too...and I'm at home with E all day. It is about balance, for sure! Such a cute photo...the family silhouette is so pretty, maybe you could just yourselves out of the picture and mat it somehow? You'll figure something out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're on the same page! I wrote a post almost identical to this last week. I think it's very difficult in this technology age we live in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great mother you are to be aware of when it's right/wrong to be on your phone around the family. Even though Evie may not know the difference now, you're creating great habits that she will recognize and appreciate later.

    I laughed when I saw the J + M + E because I knew you were covering the extra person in the frame :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing such a good job! At home and work :) Especially because you are aware of all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a timely post -something I think about often. How awesome that you and your hubs can work out a flexible schedule. That is really one of the toughest things for me... both my hubby and I are away from our kids 5 days a week.. I wish it were only 8 hours, but it's usually 10 with commuting. It's super tough and I have a 5 year plan to be more balance, work shorter days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Balance is so hard! Especially when you feel you aren't giving 100% in either area. I find that challenge with work, ie if you aren't 110% full-time, you are somehow being "lazy" - argh. Good for you guys for finding a schedule that works better for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine how had that balance must be...your little girl is lucky to have parents like you trying to work out what is best for your family. I don't work a 9-5 either so this gives me encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awh love the post photo, still think it's a framer! I think the people that wind up in the back of photos are awesome! But, that's just me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a working mom who often feels guilt for not staying home ("If I stayed home I would keep a better house, be a better cook, be able to do more with my kids, blah blah blah" is a common refrain in my head) I have to fight to not beat myself up internally for what I'm not doing well enough. What helps me is to remember that nothing is perfect. Staying home isn't perfect, working isn't perfect. We just do the best we can and that's all we can do. <3

    ReplyDelete