Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

yummy finger paints


some mornings i wake up thinking, how the heck am i going to entertain my toddler today? evelyn's room full of toys, stuffed animals and books keeps her busy for a while, but that's it. she moves through everything so quickly, her 15-month-old attention span fleeting. i've been wanting to try finger painting for awhile, but evie still puts most things in her mouth and, well, paint isn’t the best source of nutrition.

on saturday i had a brilliant idea: edible finger paints! (okay, so it wasn't my idea, per se. it was my idea to google toddler finger painting.)

i used plain yogurt and four different colors of food dye. i covered the kitchen floor with newspaper and put my naked baby in her high chair, whom stared at the colored yogurt for awhile before dipping her chubby fingers in it and swirling it around. it was such fun to watch her little eyes light up at the mess (er, art) she was making—the mess mama allowed, encouraged even!

the colored yogurt kept evelyn busy for a whole seven minutes before she realized it tasted good and gobbled it all up—just enough time to snap some photos of her deep in concentration.



leave a little note!

  1. Awww!! I just went and bought some chocolate pudding last week to do finger "painting" with little B. He is the same way... get SO bored with his toys. It'll be nice to try some new things together. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! & it would make such cute pictures of them all colored. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea!! I am going to put this up on Pinterest and also email it to my mom because she is a pre school teacher. I am sure her kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, what food dye are you using that makes turquoise, yellow and pink?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks libby! i just bought the pack of "neon" colors: pink, purple, blue and hot green. kroger brand. :)

      Delete
  5. awww what a cute idea! looks like she had a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evelyn is SO cute and looks like she had so much fun painting! My best friend's little girl is named Evelyn, and they call her Evie too. So sweet. :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad I came by to check yours out too--I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!! Makes me want to finger paint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evelyn is BEAUTIFUL! I love this idea. I will definitely have to try this with some of the kids I nanny!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm excited to follow along and get to know you better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea! I never would have thought of yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a brilliant idea, love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of pudding, but not yogurt. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thise little baby is so so cute!!!!

    http://www.frenchinlosangeles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've bought the food dye, but didn't think to use yoghurt! We were going to use whip cream! Can't wait to bust it out for my littles. xoxo

    ReplyDelete