Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

playroom refresh + diy pillow covers


we spend a lot of time in the spare bedroom. like, a lot a lot. it houses all of evelyn's toys, from stuffed animals to trains to push toys—a "mail cart" and a "vacuum cleaner"—to a four-foot-tall ballapalooza that santa brought for christmas. (is she spoiled? naaaaahhhh.)

jeff and i are determined that, no matter how many kids we have, we'll never let our living room turn into a playroom with toys and blankets and such sprinkled about. it will remain a grown-up space where we can entertain friends and hang out without tripping over balls and rattles. (those of you with two or three kids might be snickering at our naivety.)

since we spend so much time in this room and are completely set on maintaining our grown-up-only zones, i thought it was about time i turn the spare room into an actual playroom, a fun and energizing (and organized!) space.

et, voilà


many of my friends have asked me how to make simple pillow covers like the ones pictured above. if you know how to use a sewing machine (or know someone who can teach you), it's easy peezy—and super inexpensive. 



here's what you'll need:

pillow form
fabric
matching thread
scissors
straight pins
sewing machine


and here's how to do it:

{1} iron the fabric.

{2} measure the pillow form, and cut two pieces of fabric that are 1" wider and 1" taller than the form. (so, for a 12x12" pillow, cut two 14x14" fabric squares.)

{3} place one piece of fabric on the floor, right-side up, and lay the other piece of fabric on top of it, right side down.

{4} pin the pieces together, leaving a wide opening on one edge (this is where you'll insert the pillow at the end).

{5} with the sewing machine, sew the pieces together. the seam can be anywhere between 5/8" and 1" depending on your fabric type and how fitted or loose you want the pillow cover to be.

{6} cut the corners just a little bit, so they're not so pointy once the pillow is in. (i like a more fitted look.) turn the fabric inside out so the pattern is facing out.

{7} stuff the pillow inside.

{8} stitch the opening shut by hand.


leave a little note!

  1. That's an adorable, colorful room! Such a special place for your little one to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great playroom! She must love it! I love all the colors'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to re-do our playroom! I love all your ideas, especially the pillows! :o) I wish I were crafty like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS is the cutes playroom ever:) LOVE it! Such bright fun and cheery colors:) Love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan - you are one of those moms who put the rest of us to shame! Working, parenting, cooking, AND sewing?!? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey hun
    I just found your blog and I love it!
    You look amazing,love this post!
    Your blog is one of my favorite!
    Check my blog if you want and maybe follow if you like it!
    xoxo

    www.fashionrailways.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is seriously amazing!!

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    -Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh those pillows are seriously ADORABLE!! I wish I knew how to sew, or had a sewing machine, now! ;) We feel the exact same way about keeping the living room a mostly toy free zone. Our spare bedroom acts as a playroom, and our living room houses a few hidden toys for Parker in a leather storage ottoman. It's a great solution for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are adorable! I am going to have to brighten up my playroom with some! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great decision to keep adult zones as they are - I hope you can keep it that way! Looks like there's more than enough to play with in the bonus room - as long as you include remotes ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are the cutest things ever! My mom bought me a sewing machine for my birthday a few years ago.. and I've never used it. It's one of my goals for this year... if I can ever find some free time. I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete