Tuesday, February 5, 2013

here's to single mamas + a really cool book


my sister gave me this book for christmas. it's filled with questions for me to answer, for evie to read someday. questions include: what's the best thing your mom or dad taught you? what kind of house did you grow up in? what rules did your parents have that drove you crazy? who was your favorite pet? how do you want future generations of your family to remember you?

i love this book!

with it, i get to create a little family heirloom and help my kids (and future grandkids, i hope) get to know me better. but the best part is, when i write in it, i'm reliving my favorite childhood experiences. tonight, i wrote about my childhood pet: a sweet golden retriever named dolly.

all you moms out there? go get this book and start writing! or start your own journal to share with your family someday. i so wish i had something like this from my mom or grandma.



 speaking of moms, i want to applaud all the single working mamas out there. i have a great and newfound respect for you! jeff has been out of town on business the past few days, and *holy cow* this single-parenting thing is t-o-u-g-h. yesterday? went something like this:

5:30am roll out of bed. shower. get ready for the day.
6:30am scarf down a bowl of granola.
6:45am notice evie on the video monitor awake and babbling sweetly to her stuffed animals.
6:50am change evie's diaper, get her dressed, brush her hair and teeth, and throw her blanket in the diaper bag that i packed the night before.
7:15am haul evie, her diaper bag, my computer bag, my purse and my lunch bag to the car.
7:40am arrive at daycare. evie's kicking and screaming in protest. i know she'll be fine in a few minutes, after the drop-off is done, but my heart breaks anyway. 
8:10am arrive at work.
8:30am-12pm meetings to attend. deadlines to meet. emails to write. 
Lunch: i remember we're almost out of diapers. jeff's not home, which means i probably won't get a chance to run to the store tonight. i spend lunch at Fred Meyer, shopping for diapers and drain-o. (right after jeff left, the bathroom sink clogged. ah!)
1-4:30pm more meetings, deadlines, emails.
4:30pm leave to pick up evie.
5pm arrive at daycare. evie's crying (this time because she's happy to see me?).
5:30pm arrive home. unpack the car while my happy girl plays with my keys in the doorway.
5:40pm make a delicious and nutritious meal for the munchkin (last night it was salmon, baked potato and corn).
6:15pm bath time! brush teeth, brush hair, pajamas on.
6:45pm read books, cuddle and sing twinkle twinkle little star a few times.
7pm lights out
7:05pm dishwasher's full and the sink is filled with dirty dishes. take care of that.
7:25pm vacuum (because it gets pretty dirty around here when someone thinks throwing her food on the floor is hilarious).
7:40pm oh yeah, dinner! i have a salmon salad with sides of potato and corn.
8:15pm steam veggies for evie and get her diaper bag ready for tomorrow
8:35pm conquer a few more chores: fold laundry and clean the kitty litter box (someone's gotta do it).
8:50pm pour a big glass of wine and watch the bachelor.
9:50pm well, bits and pieces of the bachelor. having a hard time staying awake.
10pm bed.
3am evie's awake and coughing badly, a lingering symptom of last week's cold. she doesn't stop, so i go to the kitchen for some water. i rock her for awhile, offering her sips of water and humming her favorite lullaby.
4am everyone's back to sleep.
5:30am roll out of bed. shower.

single working mamas, how do you do it every day? serious kudos to you. your little ones don't know how lucky they are.


leave a little note!

  1. aaaand I'm tired just reading this! you go, mama! maybe jeff will treat you to a pedicure when he gets back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, just reading your day to day schedule is overwhelming. such a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. geesh busy day! and why is it that once the man of the house leaves then the house seems to fall apart, every single time! it is tough being a single mom im sure even for a few days, hopefully jeff comes home soon to you and evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw such a sweet book!! You're schedule is inspiring, keep it up lady!!
    thisiskatefunk

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i am exhausted reading that schedule. 5:30 is an insane hour to get up hahah. such a good mommy you are!

    ps. that book is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling idea...! Your daughter will be so blessed to receive that someday. Sounds like you handled your crazy day with flying colors!! Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Single moms are absolutely AMAZING. I grew up with one and I have no idea where I would be without her love and dedication :) Shout-out well deserved!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this book! I have "my quotable kid" for the HILARIOUS kid I nanny for, and write down all the things that he says that make me howl! And your schedule exhausts me! On the days I dont have to nanny I get home around 6 and go straight to bed and end up just heating up edamame and rice for dinner, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness- Where did you get this? What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete