Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

he got down on one knee, and she said yes.





Just when I thought my life couldn’t get any more crazy, exciting or happy, Jeff popped the question while we were on our babymoon in Newport Beach, California.

(Yay!)

The story? Goes something like this…

His heart had been pounding out of his chest all day, but I didn’t notice. He seemed calm, cool, like nothing life-changing was just around the corner. We spent the afternoon walking around the island, talking, laughing, lunching on the Balboa Pier, watching fisherman struggle to keep their fish from flopping about the dry land, and playing arcade games on the boardwalk. Nothing out of the ordinary for a weekend at the beach.

“We should get our faces cartooned!” Jeff suggested enthusiastically as we strolled past the Ferris wheel and into the arcade for a game of Skee ball.

“Ya!” I replied, just as excited. I love the idea of real people transforming into cartoons on paper.

“Okay, I’ll go see how much it costs. You stay here.” He said.

But before he could turn on his heels and dart off, I looked at him, puzzled. The giant sign—Get Tooned for $8—was right outside, in plain sight.

“Why don’t we just go together? We’ll see how much it costs while we’re waiting in line.” I said, still confused. We usually do these types of errands together.

“Okay.”

Little did I know I'd ruined Jeff’s plan. He didn’t want to know how much cash it’d take for the cartoon; he wanted to ask the cartoonist to draw him on one knee, holding a diamond ring to the sky, ready to place it on my cartoon finger after hearing the word “yes.”

It would have been a perfect surprise.

But I’ve been known to spoil a few surprises in my day, and Jeff’s a quick thinker, so he promptly came up with another plan. After the cartoonist had drawn our silly extra-large faces on our stick-skinny bodies, and after we’d paid him and giggled over the ridiculousness of his artwork, Jeff announced he needed to use the restroom. (Lucky for him, I don’t usually ask to join him on these types of errands.) While I waited in line for the Ferris wheel, Jeff walked back to the booth and asked the cartoonist to draw a ring in his big cartoon hand. When he returned, the paper was rolled up so I couldn’t see it.

We rode the Ferris wheel and drove home.
 
After we walked in the door and put our bags down, Jeff said, “Let’s look at this thing one more time.” He unrolled the piece of paper with our cartoons on it and pointed to the ring.

“What’s that?” I asked, my heart beginning to thud.

“I don’t know…” he trailed off. “Maybe it’s…” He reached for his pocket, got down on one knee and opened a little box that looked well over 100 years old. From the floor, he held out his great-grandmother’s ring, an Old-European cut diamond—the forerunner of modern brilliants in the late eighteenth century—on a thin gold band.

It caught the light just right, and…

I don’t really remember what happened after that, except that I laughed and cried and my hands shook uncontrollably. It was the most special moment of my life! The ring is absolutely perfect—antique, brilliant and elegant—and the guy on the other end is even more so.













leave a little note!

  1. so exciting!!! what a great proposal story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute proposal story! You have so many exciting things going on in your life right now, congrats to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know you but I got total goosebumps and am so happy for you!! That ring is GORGEOUS and I love the gold band on it! My ring is also a family heirloom (well the diamond is!) and it makes it soo much more special. yay!!!! And your smile looks so huge and happy in the pic of you and your ring :)

    And I just KNEW that bret was going to propose the day he did (my 26th bday at disneyland). He had done such a bad job at hiding things and I just had a 85% hunch it was happening. Well it never happened that day and I started getting upset. I texted my best friend "its not happening :(" and like 5 mins later we went to take a pic. I was sitting down on the stair case while he went to give somebody my camera (that ended up not having enough memory space to take the video so we got nothing :( )and he said "get up for the pic" i said "no..i've taken pics here before, it looks better sitting down!", he told me to get up again, i said no, finally he said JUST GET UP!! I had nooooooo clue it was about to happen! I got up, he got down on 1 knee and I dont remember anyhting after that, except that i said yes,haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megsssss I seriously can't stop smiling! This is the sweetest story I've ever heard. So perfect. I couldn't be happier for you two! I am sooo excited I get another married friend!!! Yippee! Now I just need to have a little bebe so ours can be BFFs - just like us ;) CONGRATS!!!!!! Soak it allll up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow Meghan!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you two!! This is the sweetest story! Especially because you are such an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Congratulations to you sweetie!! My diamond was also an heirloom from Ryan's grandmother. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have cried a little while reading this... Okay I totally did. I love that the ring has family history. PLUS it came via your soul mate, which is always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a truly amazing story!!! One that you will tell loved ones for a life time :) Take it all and enjoy being engaged

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! What a sweet story. It gave me goosebumps. I love LOVE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why you'd think this made me cry, at work.
    What ever would make you assume that?
    I'm not sniffling little joy tears or anything.


    Love it. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is so exciting! congrats! your ring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s. love your engagement story ... it is so sweet. made me smile this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's funny because i don't even know you, and i'm just soo happy for you :D wonderful story!!That's the first time that i'm visiting your blog and i'm stuck with it..i'm scrolling down for so looong :O haha ..great work. keep blogging and being happy with your beautiful family!!.. xoxo

    http://dontnohow2nameit.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete