Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Toro Bravo + Courtside Blazer Seats

I’m inching along in freeway traffic at 5:30 p.m. on a Tuesday, and I’m irked. I think back to my days in San Francisco, when I could hop on bus 19 after a long day at the office and ride home, my nose in a good book, my head in the clouds, without having to glance once at the road or agonize over congestion. It’s a different world here. And Jeff and I have been carpooling to and from work, which adds to the tension.

“Can you drop me off at Toro Bravo?” he asks from the passenger seat.

“I guess.”

He’s meeting his uncle for dinner and drinks before watching the Blazer game, courtside, from a seat with his uncle’s name engraved on the armrest. It’s the last home game of the season.

Naturally I’m jealous, irritated. Until his uncle calls and invites me to have dinner with them at a popular new restaurant I’ve been dying to try.

My mood lifts as we glug red wine and chatter about our favorite cafés and restaurants in the city. Between bites, I praise the fare. We try griddled shrimp with chilies, seared scallops, grilled flatbread with black truffle cheese and arugula, sautéed spinach with pine nuts and raisins, and smoked coppa steak with confit potatoes.

The kicker?

When the food and wine is gone, Jeff’s uncle says, “I think I’d rather go home and watch The Biggest Loser than go to the game.”

“Okay…” I reply timidly, my voice trailing. It’s nonsense!

“You two go to the game. Have a good time.” He flashes a wink and smiles wide while sliding the tickets across the table. Jeff and I look at each other and then smile back at him.


My Tuesday? Turns out to be all right.



leave a little note!

  1. Wow, Megs! Fun! And too funny that we were just talking about Toro Bravo! So good, right?! Glad you had a good Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it turned out to be an awesome Tuesday! :) The food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete