Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Recap: My First 30 Hours in Holland

I’ve been in Amsterdam for 30 hours, although it feels like it’s been two weeks. I’ve done so much already! On Saturday afternoon, my coworkers and I checked into the Park Plaza hotel and strolled through the city in the rain, experiencing the neighborhood’s charm like the locals do: wet. That evening we enjoyed drinks at the hotel before meeting three more colleagues for dinner at a chic restaurant in the city. I had an intense craving for a cheeseburger and pinched myself in annoyance. What horrible timing! An American ordering a cheeseburger. But I'm glad I did. It was the cutest, most petit little thing ever.

One bottle of champagne, three bottles of wine and two hours later, we walked the half-hour back to the hotel for one more glass of celebratory bubbly. (Because hey, why not?)

Despite our eventful night out, we woke up early this morning to tour the Anne Frank house. It was heartbreaking to see the young girl’s original journal entries and hiding area: a small, secret annex in the heart of Amsterdam. Until today, I didn’t realize how beautifully she wrote. Her words are printed on the walls, as are original pencil scribbles that mark each child’s growth during the two years the family was in hiding. Authentic posters and photos also hang on the walls, secured with glue and thumbtacks behind protective glass cases.

We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the city by foot, stopping in shops and cafes for cappuccinos and heavenly whiffs of brightly colored tulips. (Who knew Holland was famous for tulips?)

Tomorrow’s agenda: work.

I’m off to bed!


leave a little note!

  1. I'm so jealous! I want to be there, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you're lookin' good. You must have found a straightener :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I got lucky. There's one American outlet in the hotel with the correct voltage. Yahoo! :)

    ReplyDelete