Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Resolutions

I’ve never been one to make New Year’s resolutions. Not serious ones, anyway. One year I told myself I’d watch all 115 episodes of The Wonder Years in a week. Another year I vowed not to eat cookies, although I made no rules against scoffing candy, chips and ice cream – unless they had cookie dough in them. Last year Alexa and I swore off fast food, even though I couldn’t remember the last time I’d ordered a burger or a carton of soggy fries from a dollar menu. (And on New Year's Day we went to breakfast at Burker King, our tails between our legs.)

Seriously? Keeping a New Year’s resolution is harder than it seems. Apart from my Kevin Arnold pledge, all of my past January oaths have involved avoiding something, keeping away from something.

The problem?

If I can’t have something, I want it even more – even if I never really wanted it in the first place. (And vice versa. I about gagged myself after gazing into Kevin's nauseating brown eyes for a week straight.)

So this year I’m keeping things positive. I won’t deprive myself of any essentials (or go overkill on any more of Hollywood's child stars).

The resolutions highest on my list are Read the Books I Bought About Writing My First Novel and of course Start Writing My First Novel. Naturally, Hit the Gym and Get Skinny are on there, too. I should also work on saving money. So Cut Back on Nordstrom is the only downbeat point on the list. Be Friendlier to Strangers didn’t make the cut (as much as I wanted it to, damnit), as it’s not compatible with the other resolutions. If in the next twelve months I’m faced with the option of either living with my parents or paying for a studio apartment in Portland, I expect Find a Way to Make Some Money Even if it Means Selling My Soul and Working in a Cubicle will be on the list, too.

But I suppose my real resolution should be Stick to My Resolutions.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress. Wish me luck, and Happy New Year!


leave a little note!

  1. Good Luck Meghan!! Way to make tangible goals! I never make resolutions because I never succeed at fulfilling them. Hope all is well in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the years, I've found making resolutions for the month of January rather than the entire year has made me quite successful in the resolution arena. Then if its not too painful I may even stretch it into February, it being the shortest month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck megs! those are good resolutions. i believe in you :)

    ReplyDelete