Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bridge Town

After spending four days in the City of Roses – or, well, in a suburb of the City of Roses – I decided it was time to change the name of this blog. Conveniently, I don’t have a job, so I was able to spend a good portion of the day thinking up a way to merge the concepts of San Francisco, Portland, and, of course, me. I threw out my first batch of ideas, which included but was not limited to San FranPortland, Foggy Roses, and The Girl Who Thought She Was Too Cool for Everybody’s Favorite City.

Thus, I came up with A Tale of One Girl and Two Cities.

(Genius!) (Granted, it’s kind of dull – and reminiscent of a Charles Dickens classic – but mostly genius!)

After the epic title change, it seemed only appropriate to slant the description of this blog, too. Originally, I was all about publishing 365 entries in 365 days. And we all know how that turned out. (Never again will I promise to do something every day for an entire year. It only leads to failure – and friends who go off the deep end.)

Anyway, here’s what I came up with:

I’m always up for putting a new bar, restaurant, park, or designer boutique to the test, especially when in the City by the Bay or the City of Roses. And, like thousands of other writers who haven’t yet become rich and famous, The Julie/Julia Project has inspired me to blog about it. So here I am, broadcasting my sometimes absurd, occasionally romantic, and often disastrous experiences in San Francisco and Portland. It’s a familiar yet bizarre tale of one girl, in two cities, living two extraordinarily different lives...

(Again, genius!)

So now my blog is updated, my suitcases are unpacked, and all that’s left to do is shuffle around the house in my bathrobe and slippers and ask myself, What the hell do I do now?

Lucky for you, my schedule is wide open. Which means I have time to do things like travel the city and learn the ropes and report back. The other night, for example, I decided it'd be productive to drive over four of Portland’s bridges while memorizing their names, colors, and locations. And when I got home, I whipped open my “Best Places Portland” book to bone up on these fun facts:

The Steel Bridge is the only verticle-lift bridge in the world with twin decks capable of movement. It's Portland's shortest bridge – only 211 feet long!

Until 1988, the neon "Made in Oregon" sign near the Burnside Bridge advertised Stag Sportswear. This bridge is the site for the Saturday Market.

The Morrison Bridge opened in 1958 to replace Portland's first river bridge, an 1887 toll bridge that charged 15 cents for a horse, buggy and driver. (What a deal!)

The Hawthorne Bridge predates the Steel Bridge as the world's oldest verticle-lift bridge still in full operation. It opened in 1945.

Yeah. I need a job.


leave a little note!

  1. Thank you for teaching me about the bridges and for writing a new post. I have checked three times today... PS - there is NOTHING wrong with bathrobes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another PS!!!! LOVE the new header slogan and picture. It suites the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha I love it! Welcome home Meghan!! We should plan another happy hour/dinner/ or dessert soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new title...BUT that means you still have to have SF posts too, right? SO with that being said, we will need to plan a jam packed adventure for you to come down and visit and go to several different places!

    ps- The Made in Oregon is in my top 5 favorite things about PDX :) Ahh the city of roses...how I miss thee. And you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the City of Roses. And about that job thing......kind of important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF Spotting:
    50 year old woman walking on Hyde and Turk in a lace top with nothing under it. Gross, I know!

    ReplyDelete